Topic: Microphone "channels" and small error in manual

I am back to playing with how best to create a realistic player rendition with microphones vs binaural head set-up.  Two things that I noted:

1) In the manual, section 11.3.1, a little French is creeping into the English manual with "perfect-omni et perfect-fig8" instead of perfect-omni and perfect-fig8."

2) In trying to just hear what was coming from my right speakers versus my left speakers, I right-clicked on the "Output Channel 1", thinking that I would only hear my left channel from my left speakers, with whatever mics that I had blended into the left channel.  What I heard, however, was the sound coming from both my left and right channel speakers (perhaps it just takes the left channel and plays it through both left and right channel?).  Is there a way to easily silence the right or left channel without changing the microphone input balance?  I just am trying to hear the treble and bass for directionality to each channel.

- David

Re: Microphone "channels" and small error in manual

Well, when you right-click to solo a channel, you are, after all, listening to the sound of the channel soloed. Since the preset has it set to go to both outputs\monitors, it is playing on both outputs\monitors. (You are only soloing a channel, not an output.) In other words, if you were able to just isolate the left-hand monitor with a click to hear what the sound is like, it would not accurately represent what you will hear when you then return to using both channels.

So right-click beside the grid to isolate the channel, and then make the adjustments you want inside the grid for the level and the delay.

Does this make sense? I know that you have already seen that you could do this, and in fact were asking how to avoid doing this, but does it make sense that one MUST make the adjustments after soloing the channel? After all, you were going to make adjustments anyway.

If part of the goal is to be able to compare the sound of the adjustments with the sound before you adjust them, remember that you can use the A/B switch to compare presets, so just make sure that the same preset is in both the A and B "slot," and then make adjustments on the one and compare it with the other. (And remember to save the edited version once you get the sound that you want...)

Hope this helps. I do see the logic behind wanting to solo a monitor. The problem, or situation, is just that the default settings have the sound going to both monitors, and that can be considered as just a starting point for edits, as opposed to a hurdle to overcome.

EDIT: And I do see that the right-clickable bars to the right of the grid say "Output," so it would seem to make sense that a right-click there would solo the output. If you hover over one of the bars,  the help message says that we are instead soloing a channel. A little confusing. Maybe the text on the bars should say "Channel"?

Last edited by Jake Johnson (13-11-2017 13:15)

dklein wrote:

1) In the manual, section 11.3.1, a little French is creeping into the English manual with "perfect-omni et perfect-fig8" instead of perfect-omni and perfect-fig8."

Aha, we will kill that "et". Thank you David.

Thanks, Philippe.  No doubt that you will soon say, "et voila!" to eliminating that 'et'.

Yes, Jake, a bit confusing.  If my Steinberg UR22 mkII had a L/R balance, I guess this wouldn't be a frustration, but shy of unplugging the speaker outputs or turning off their power switches (the latter a better idea, of course), it's hard to tell what comes out of each monitor.

- David

Philippe,
Should an explanation of this situation (the distinction between channels and outputs, and the possible confusion that can arise because both channels are fed to both outputs in the presets) be addressed in the manual?

Should the right-clickable bars to the right of the grid be renamed Channels?

For that matter, should there be a way to solo outputs as well as channels? Just a choice on a drop-down menu between soloing the channel or soloing the output?