Topic: Ruckers recording bug?

When recording on the 1624 Ruckers, Pianoteq fails to capture registration data (ie use of the L8', U8', and 4') when set from the user interface... is this a bug or WAD?  and, if the latter, what's the rational behind it?  I realize that one can link registration to pedal/midi controller inputs, but (for various reasons) this is not a good solution for me and I'm finding it rather annoying to be unable to record pieces in which one changes registration via the user interface while playing...

Matthieu 7:6

Re: Ruckers recording bug?

Hello _DJ_. I hope you're able to hear soon from someone with the answers you need. I wish I had an answer for you. But I wanted to let you know how very grateful I am for your 1894 Erard (1922) fxp for Pianoteq5. The 1922 Erard is my favorite of all the pianos and your preset makes the instrument in version 6 even more special. Your EQ settings in the Effects section seem to eliminate all the "digital" and make the piano sound "analog" if that makes any sense. There's a warmth that is simply wonderful to hear and experience. I don't really understand what all you did there and in the Spectrum Profile but the results are excellent!

I've tweaked things slightly and tuned the Erard with Ellis (1875) temperament with 432 Hz Diapason. I find that Diapason relaxes me.

I hope you will find time to work your magic with the 1926 Pleyel and post an fxp. I just can't get it to sound like I want it to.
Thanks again!
My best,
Robert

Thanks for the kind words, Robert, and 'am very glad to hear that you're getting good use out the instrument!

Ellis 1875 is also great and what I use for my Steinway fxps, but I find that the Érard has become my go-to for 20th century repertoire and am in fact using it for a series of salon performances beginning this weekend (music of Poulenc, Ravel, & Debussy, as well as Couperin on the Ruckers).
'haven't played about with the 1926 Pleyel too much, though might visit it in the new year... 'huge fan here though of the 1835 Pleyel (Chopin!)...
Cheers,
dj

Last edited by _DJ_ (02-05-2018 11:19)

_DJ_ wrote:

When recording on the 1624 Ruckers, Pianoteq fails to capture registration data (ie use of the L8', U8', and 4') when set from the user interface... is this a bug or WAD?  and, if the latter, what's the rational behind it?  I realize that one can link registration to pedal/midi controller inputs, but (for various reasons) this is not a good solution for me and I'm finding it rather annoying to be unable to record pieces in which one changes registration via the user interface while playing...

It does capture the  registration data if you use the 3 lowest keys that are assigned by default to the three register. The only thing you need to take care is that the registers state is the same when you start recording the MIDI file and when you start listening to it. This is because those 3 keys work on/off.

MIDI learn those registration keys to a CC sent from your MIDI controller or something and then they'll get recorded.

Hard work and guts!

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

It does capture the  registration data if you use the 3 lowest keys that are assigned by default to the three register. The only thing you need to take care is that the registers state is the same when you start recording the MIDI file and when you start listening to it. This is because those 3 keys work on/off.

Hi Philippe,

I was confused at first by your message in that, with the custom fxp/midi map I'm using, the three lowest keys had lost their default assignment... but when I went back and checked the factory default settings I saw exactly what you are describing.  'have now fixed the attached midi map and all is well... thank you!   it's somewhat moot at this point i suppose, but 'still am curious why using the registration tabs above the virtual keyboard in the user interface doesn't similarly give recorded midi input in the same way that the virtual keyboard does?

In any event, you and the whole Modartt team completely rock on all fronts and are, in my book, quite simply one of the best outfits on the planet!  Bravo!!
dj

_DJ_ wrote:

it's somewhat moot at this point i suppose, but 'still am curious why using the registration tabs above the virtual keyboard in the user interface doesn't similarly give recorded midi input in the same way that the virtual keyboard does?

Well, that's the fact that none of the settings from the UI are recorded in the MIDI file, not even the pedals if you click on them, so that would mean making an exception for the registers, which would look a bit weird.

In any case, we are happy that you enjoy our work .

Hi DJ,
You're welcome and thank you for the additional presets. Can't wait to try them. Yes, most fxps don't work for me. Each of us has widely varying setups but your fxp worked right out of the box.
Right now I'm learning the Dukas Piano Sonata and the Erard just makes it so easy to get the tone colours and timbres the music calls for. The tunings in the presets just posted look interesting.
Hope your registration issue has been solved.
My best,
Robert

algorhythms wrote:

You're welcome and thank you for the additional presets. Can't wait to try them. Yes, most fxps don't work for me. Each of us has widely varying setups but your fxp worked right out of the box.
Right now I'm learning the Dukas Piano Sonata and the Erard just makes it so easy to get the tone colours and timbres the music calls for. The tunings in the presets just posted look interesting.
Hope your registration issue has been solved.

registration issues all resolved, thankfully. (problem was on my end.)
just posted some recent recordings i made with my "1894 Erard" fxp (a¹ = 442.4 Hz, Pyle equal-beating (1906)) but here using a more "proper" microphone/fxp setup ==> http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=5413 and 'would definitely welcome feedback on micing, reverb, equaliztion, etc. 'still learning/refining mastering technique and any insights from old recording hands would be greatly appreciated! 
cheers,
dj