Topic: Bug(?) report

Hey Modartt.

I love Pianoteq. The best VST I ever purchased was this one, but...

If I play the middle C (I have noticed this for all notes, this is only mentioned as an example note), and then I play the middle C again. Obviously I interrupt and mute the original C because my finger leave the key, and the second one should ring out as the hammer strike the strings. Now if I could play the piano this would be of no significance as one cannot replay a middle C without first releasing the very same key one wish to repeat. But if I were arranging a score (which I am forced to because I cannot play the piano) one can easily make two middle C's overlap. In FL studio when two pianoteq-notes interrupt themselves, in the manner I just explained, both the previous and the most recent notes are muted. This is usually no problem because:
  A) I'm am an obsessive nerd with I severe dislike for overlapping notes (don't ask)
  B) It's easily fixed with a little TLC.

However that's not the end of my "report". The previous section was necessary for me to explain where I think the bug might be found. The previous bug was pretty easy to work around, so I didn't want to bother you. But recently I started working on a rendition of "Everybody Loves Somebody" and found the "swing" function in FL studio very handy. But this overlapping now seems to occur despite the efforts I mentioned earlier but only when "swing" is non-zero. Worse yet (the actual reason I write to you) even when notes do not overlap. My guess is that FL studio doesn't actually handle the implicit "note-off" when the timing is "swingy" (I'm sorry I really am doing the best I to try to convey this to you in a manner that is, at least realatively clear). Or at least it's relegating the implicit note-off (note-interrupting-itself) to the individual VST's themselves. But I don't know, maybe you don't handle it, and nor does FL studio. Or perhaps BOTH try to handle it and a conflict of sorts occur, I don't know.

Here are a couple of examples:

Vanilla (swing is set to 0%):
https://soundcloud.com/christian-krabbe...la/s-lcVef

Swingy (swing is set to 50%):
https://soundcloud.com/christian-krabbe...gy/s-5hiJ0

Swingy (swing is set to 50%, slowed way down to exagerate the effect):
https://soundcloud.com/christian-krabbe...ow/s-1ecam

Now I don't know who to send this bug-report to you or Image-Line, but given your VST is the only one I've found that does this, it seemed natural to write to you at least first.

*EDIT*
I have tried with a few other VST's just now. Synth1, SuperWave P8 and SuperWave P80 also does this. Nexus 2 does not.

Best regards... and a huge resounding Thank you for Pianoteq. I love you guys!
  Christian

Last edited by zero2nine (03-11-2017 21:12)

Re: Bug(?) report

Hello Christian,

I am glad you like Pianoteq overall.

Regarding the notes that cancel each other abruptly:

What you have discovered .... is not a problem implicit to Pianoteq.  The problem you have described is a problem with the midi note-on messages when they "overlap" one another i.e., when applying swing to the file.  Every midi note consists of a "note-on" message and a "note-off" message.  All is well when the notes do not overlap on the same note, just as when you play them with one finger and repeat the note.

When the repeated notes "do overlap", then the note-off of the first note occurs just a short time after the note-on of the second note has occurred.  The MIDI protocol does what it does when it sees a note-off message --- it kills the note.   As it turns out, it sounds to me as though Pianoteq is just following the midi instructions it was given.

The workaround:  When this happens, the notes get cut off abruptly.  You only need to go into the midi editor (the piano roll editor) and find those note-off messages that are the culprits, and edit them to "end" before the next same note is played. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joe

Thank you for answering.

I posted a similar question in the FL studio forum, and they say the same. I solved it by automating the tempo.

Here is the result:
https://soundcloud.com/christian-krabbe...somebody-1

Now, if you were to hold down the sustain pedal (equivalent to Midi Controlled 64, value = 127), you would be able to play the original note, release it, and re-play the note ... without muting the original note.  This is independent of musical tempo.

Cheers,

Joe