Topic: A new (?) overview of the development of the piano

New to me, at least. Doesn't get very technical, but it offers 28 pages of interesting photo's, video's, and brief descriptions of the instruments leading up to the piano, and descriptions of later developments and patents. From Houston Piano Company:

http://www.houstonpianocompany.com/new-...-the-piano

Last edited by Jake Johnson (02-08-2017 23:44)

Re: A new (?) overview of the development of the piano

Interesting stuff.  New to me too.  The Roman water organ I hadn't heard of at all.   Right now I'm listening to a recording by God (sorry, Oscar Peterson) of Tin, Tin Deo - heck of a leap from those early instruments to what Mr. P was playing (and how he played).  Never seen such a long time line on the subject before.

StephenG

Unfortunately, it gets thinner later, and lists pianists and a few patents. I hope it's in its early stages. I wrote to them about an apparent typo about harpsichords, too--the site says that harpsichords were struck instead of being plucked.

But the recordings of the earlier instruments are fascinating. Many of these instruments remind me of some modern synth sounds. Many just sound wonderful, like the psaltery And of course, I want, but will not request, that they be duplicated in Pianoteq. Unless other people request them too...

I didn't know about the water organ either. Not sure that I understand what the water contributes.

They probably got confused about hammered harpsichords.

The water organ uses air, while the water just works to push the air.

Last edited by Beto-Music (03-08-2017 18:46)

Beto-Music wrote:

They probably got confused about hammered harpsichords.

The water organ uses air, while the water just works to push the air.

Thanks. I did a very little research on it. (As in using Google.) So the water simply provided hydraulic pressure, which pushed more air than a simple bellows would, and thus increased the amplitude? One surprising thing that I read is that the Roman baths sometimes had these. The Romans invented Muzac? Or took it from the Greeks.   

And they had an organ at the Coliseum that apparently served the same purpose as the organ in modern American baseball games. See the next to last mosaic panel and text at: http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/enc...ennig.html

I don't think the sound could be heard among so much agiteaed people in the coliseum.

Their page have reference to V-piano but not to pianoteq (launched years before V-piano). What a shame, someone needs to talk with them.

Last edited by Beto-Music (04-08-2017 02:31)

I received a response from Paul Varner at Houston Piano. He tells me that they've changed the harpsichord description and are planning on updating the history over time.

(I imagine that they sell Roland instruments, so the reference on their site may just be part of their agreement with Roland.)

Toy Story also wasn't the first pure CGI animated feature lenght film.

Jake Johnson wrote:

I received a response from Paul Varner at Houston Piano. He tells me that they've changed the harpsichord description and are planning on updating the history over time.

(I imagine that they sell Roland instruments, so the reference on their site may just be part of their agreement with Roland.)