Topic: Pianoteq 5 is already pretty perfect...probably not your weakest link

A few days ago I did some rearrangement in my living room and re-positioned my digital piano (Yamaha Grantouch GT2) to a slanted position (not parallel to walls like it used to be) and noticed a very significant improvement in sound. Gone are the annoying ear piercing room resonances and now the sound and playing experience is so realistic and satisfying that to my ears it is indistinguishable from a real acoustic piano. Of course there is the luxury to switch between different world class pianos with a click of the mouse which is absolutely awesome.

I guess what I took from this experience is that it was not until now that I realize how good Pianoteq 5 is. I always found it to be pretty good but still found the overall experience somewhat lacking in certain areas. Probably like a lot of us in the forum, I am checking the website almost daily for the release of Pianoteq 6. But I am becoming more convinced that Pianoteq 5 is already pretty perfect and that we may not have realized its full potential because of what is downstream from it (e.g., speakers, amplification, speaker placement, room acoustics...etc.). In other words, there is probably additional performance to be had without having to wait for the next version of Pianoteq. Another way of looking at it is that if the downstream components are not up to par, even an eventual upgrade to Pianoteq 6 may not provide satisfaction because the improvements may be obscured / compromised by the subpar downstream components.

I still very much look forward to Pianoteq 6 and every subsequent release, but it does not change the fact that the currently version is already totally satisfying.

Last edited by lo134 (17-05-2017 13:22)

Re: Pianoteq 5 is already pretty perfect...probably not your weakest link

lo134 wrote:

Probably like a lot of us in the forum, I am checking the website almost daily for the release of Pianoteq 6.
I still very much look forward to Pianoteq 6 and every subsequent release, but it does not change the fact that the currently version is already totally satisfying.

hahaha, why I see myself in your words ?

Last edited by slobajudge (17-05-2017 14:04)

I change speakers and placements and room positioning and headphones from time to time as it can make big difference ... makes it more interesting and even change makes me play more... so all is good... and fun

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

I agree with these realizations.  My latest improvement to my 'pianos' came with the addition of a sub-woofer, set pretty low.  Gives a far more realistic tone to the bass notes on the Bluethner and Steinway D.  Plus, even gives better haptic feedback through my upright piano by causing a bit of resonance that I can feel in my fingertips.

- David

It does make me wonder if a sound model that allowed the placement of virtual walls (and a ceiling) would be a bigger improvement than anything else.

Of course that might be a tall order computationally, but clearly at least some people feel that the biggest step in getting a more realistic sound relates to the room model, rather than the instruments themselves.

StephenG

sjgcit wrote:

It does make me wonder if a sound model that allowed the placement of virtual walls (and a ceiling) would be a bigger improvement than anything else.

Of course that might be a tall order computationally, but clearly at least some people feel that the biggest step in getting a more realistic sound relates to the room model, rather than the instruments themselves.

This can be done by the use of impulse responses. The standard version allows this

sjgcit wrote:

This is already there in Pianoteq, at least for the upright. You can move the piano against a wall, and place virtual microphones BEHIND that wall if you want.

Hard work and guts!

I don't find impulse response files are very user friendly.  Of course I don't personally have any experience of creating them or knowledge of any relatively simple tools for generating them (assuming such tools even exist).

And I had indeed been thinking of that wall in the upright model when I suggested this (seen the demo, of course, but haven't purchased the model).

It would be interesting to have the movable wall concept extended to more elaborate setups in the simple to use sound interface.

StephenG

IRs are extremely user-friendly. Load them, adjust the wet level, forget about them. Big deal. In fact much easier than algorithmic reverbs which can have heaps of parameters. The only matter is choosing an IR that fits what you want to hear (nobody says you have to create one, there are thousands of them available freely online).

Last edited by EvilDragon (19-05-2017 13:30)
Hard work and guts!

Hi
I agree with lo134 in the introduction of this thread about speakers, placement, room acustics and so on ( in my experience the weakest link in audio system is likely to be the speakers and their interaction with room) but if its not enough, satisfying, dont forget that we have at least 100 parameters that sets the condition of Pianoteqs sound. Regardless of Ptq 6 or 7 or 8, we always have the possibility to change the sound ourselves. Thats so fantastic with Ptq. Gradually, now after 4 years, I am using more and more different parameters and coming more capable, competent, of getting new good pianosounds to my taste, when expressing myself with different kind of music. But, we are undoubtedly getting something from Modartt when they are ready for it. Well, thats what i think about it.
By the way, have my latest soundexample in ”other files”. What sound perfect to me can be awful to another. But, I like ”voicing” my Ptq every now and then (change the tones quality). Thanks to Modartt for that.

played Pianoteq 5 Steinway Model B Bright preset through my Atomic monitors.
the sound is absolutely awesome.
my headphones do not make it sound this good.
with the monitors, the bite and bark that I love, when pressing the keys a little more forte, is all there.
the low notes, the mids, the highs, all excellent.
to me, it sounds as good as the real Steinway Model D that I've played at a music store.
my point, is that I now agree that the sound of Pianoteq 5, is already abso-freakin-lutely beyond outstanding.
there is no need to improve it. its already perfect just like it is.
(I used to think that Pianoteq's sound was not so good. but, now having played the Pianoteq Steinway Model B Bright preset through these really good monitors, I now believe that the sound is indeed spectacular beyond description.)

" abso-freakin-lutely " ... well stated!

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

right on!!!!
yeah, very happy with Pianoteq5 now.
it is so good.