Topic: Logic Pro X Audio Routing

Hello:

I'm trying to route each microphone to a discreet channel in my DAW (Logic Pro X) and I'm finding that I'm only able to get audio out on the Inst1 and the Aux2 channels. That is 1 and 3 respectively. I have read through the manual and I haven't been able to find anywhere that indicates I can even route the microphones in a multichannel context externally to PianoTeq.

Normally with a multichannel instrument you'd simply select the multichannel option you want, and it automatically routes the audio based on the "output," you select within the instrument. In a setup like this, your additional channels are available via the mixer window, and by clicking the little plus sign in the lower right corner of the strip. Has this simply not been implemented yet? If that's the issue, will it be? Do I need to set this up in the environment window and manually configure it?

I tried the other options from the dropdown menu and found similar behavior. The only difference is that none of the other options gave me a signal on any of the instrument's additional channels.

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Logic Pro X Audio Routing

I have, with the help of a support request, been able to figure this out for Logic. Thanks Niclas!

Here is my walkthrough.

Create a new instrument but opt for the 5 mono (I didn't care about the other options so I haven't tried to configure them). Set your output to "bus 1."

create instrument

This is not a multi-timbal instrument so you probably don't want to check that box. I have no need for the library to be opened either so I uncheck that too.

When Logic has created the track, press the "X" key on your keyboard to view your mixer. If you have a custom setup, that may be done differently for you.

When the mixer is visible, you'll see your pianoteq track that you'll then see a + in the bottom right corner of the channel fader. Click it four times (it won't let you do more than that because it only has 5 out) to add your discreet microphone channels.

Add Mixer Channels

After this, you'll want to rename the "Aux 1" to something considerably easier to manage. I rename mine to "Piano Sum."

Rename summing channel.

After you have renamed the summing channel, you can then select all of the added channels, but not the first one, and not the sum, only the pianoteq channels 2, 3, 4, and 5. With all of them selected, pick the "output," dropdown and choose "Bus 1 > Piano Sum." All four should automatically update to send their audio to the "Piano Sum," channel strip.

Send output to Piano Sum

You're done with the mixer but you can click on the pianoteq instance to open the plug-in window from here. This is where I open the plugin window from. In the pianoteq window, you'll see a microphone next to something that says, "sound recording," or any number of other options. On that bar, click the microphone to open the routing window.

Open the audio routing window by clicking the microphone

With the routing window open, you'll see a grid. That grid confused me a bit because I didn't realize that each row is a different output and each column is a different microphone. In this area you could route microphone 1 to output 5, but you might find that confusing if you want to work on the project at a a later date. I tend to set microphone 1 to output one. You'll have values in each of the columns already. I set each microphone to 0db in the row that matches the microphone and everything else to nothing. Make sure the microphone is also "on," because if it's greyed out, you won't get a signal either.

Routing matrix configured to send output to five discreet channels with no bleed.

How you end up configuring your setup, and why you might want to do this is entirely up to you. I'm really happy that I can play with different microphones, different placements, and different everything. I can put a huge wide open delay effect on channel five but leave one and two panned hard left and right, with their microphones at each end of the piano to get a really sweet sounding "intimate," but still big sound. I'm still new to microphone techniques but this will give me (and anyone else) a means of playing with their sound stage without having to have an actual sound stage to play with.

I am not quite dialed in on how the delay within he output matrix works, or why I'd want to modify it so you can see that I left the values that were already there in my walkthrough. I suspect it has something to do with phase issues and actually making the sound stage "real." Your mileage may vary.

Other creative effects could be employed that would have your primary piano sound untouched, but with one of the remaining three channels completely modulated, distorted, or mangled in some way. The possibilities are endless. The ability to mix them in for a very specific sound is awesome.

I hope this helps someone.

Thanks for reading.

Hi Paulfox -

I found this quite interesting because I have experimented extensively with separate mono amps and speakers to pick off those five microphone diagonal outputs exactly like you screen clipped above.  I use the basic Logic Express 8 for not so elaborate recording projects like you must be making with Logic Pro X.

I used a 'vintage' MAudio Firewire 410 interface in order to produce five microphone outputs from Pianoteq totally separated.  Then I used inexpensive digital audio amps (actually 4/stereo amps from Parts-Express) to drive separate speakers that I could move around the room just for testing.  I also, just for fun, used the remaining three amp channels to drive three additional channels picked off from selectively choosen speaker pairs.  Those channels were from the classic "Hafler Hookup" scheme but I actually amplified each so I could control their level.  So in the end, I was able to have 8 discreet channels and speakers:  5 from Pianoteq and 3 from the "Hafler Hookup" scheme.

The quest is, of course, to emulate that natural presence of an actual piano in a room.  But an acoustic piano sends sounds out from so many places before they ever leave the inside of the piano - even if you play only one string, or different ones if you hold the sustain pedal down first.  Then the room itself gets to stir them up ... and you haven't even played a chord or whatever yet!

My experiments were fun.  SOooo ... now I have resorted to playing Pianoteq from my Beyerdynamic 880 headphones now and just in raw stereo.  I am of the firm opinion that Philippe et al are working diligently on the esoteric features of their presets and pianos.  I have refocused my attention to what they are doing.  My experimenting is on hold!

You got me to thinking about whether or not Logic and instances of Pianoteq can still send out those channels separated from a recording.

Kudos,

Lanny

LTECpiano wrote:

Hi Paulfox -

...I used a 'vintage' MAudio Firewire 410 interface in order to produce five microphone outputs from Pianoteq totally separated.  Then I used inexpensive digital audio amps (actually 4/stereo amps from Parts-Express) to drive separate speakers that I could move around the room just for testing...

The quest is, of course, to emulate that natural presence of an actual piano in a room.  But an acoustic piano sends sounds out from so many places before they ever leave the inside of the piano - even if you play only one string, or different ones if you hold the sustain pedal down first.  Then the room itself gets to stir them up ... and you haven't even played a chord or whatever yet!

Hi Lanny,

5 years later, I'm trying to do exactly this––3/4/5 channel output from pianoteq7. But I'm a complete newbie with MIDI and DAWs for MacOS.

Currently, I have my keyboard attached as a MIDI input to Garageband with Pianoteq7 running as an AU.  But I've since learned that GB only supports 2-channel output. LogicProX is an option, as mentioned above–are there any other/free DAWs that support 3+ channels?

I think I also need a mutli-channel audio interface. I have a MacMini with only USB-3/C/Thunderbolt ports so I won't be able to connect to the vintage Firewire hardware you mentioned. But I'm not clear what I'm looking for–I need something that can take 5-channels in from the DAW, not 5 line/mic inputs. what do I search for?

Can you (or anyone else who is knowledgeable) help me figure out what I need to purchase?

Last edited by muxelles (25-08-2021 16:54)

Cockos Reaper is not exactly free but "free to try"... for as long as you want it!!!
And it should do the trick. It's not as easy to master as other DAW's though, be prepared to spend a few hours studying it...
https://www.reaper.fm/

Luc Henrion wrote:

Cockos Reaper is not exactly free but "free to try"... for as long as you want it!!!
And it should do the trick. It's not as easy to master as other DAW's though, be prepared to spend a few hours studying it...
https://www.reaper.fm/

Thanks for the tip. This seems to do the trick for experimenting with multi-channel. But as a newbie to DAWs, I can see what you mean about "spending a few hours". I can see it responding to my keyboard but I haven't got any (stereo) sound out yet...

But I still have the issue of getting multi-channel audio out of the mac. I suspect I need an "audio interface" with "n-out" channels. But since the input is coming from the DAW and (not mics or direct instruments), can I ignore the "x-in" spec? For example, would something like this work with a DAW for 4-channel out:

M-Audio AIR 192|8 - 2-In 4-Out USB Audio / MIDI Interface... see: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YZLN475

Last edited by muxelles (27-08-2021 09:33)

The M Audio "should" work, but since the outputs are labeled "main" and "aux", I'm not 100% sure, I'd go for a "real" 4-output interface like the Tascam US-4x4HR.

But unless you have 4 speakers, this is not what you need... You can perfectly mix a multichannel instrument/track in stereo without a sound card with dedicated outputs.

Last edited by Luc Henrion (27-08-2021 15:35)

Luc Henrion wrote:

The M Audio "should" work, but since the outputs are labeled "main" and "aux", I'm not 100% sure, I'd go for a "real" 4-output interface like the Tascam US-4x4HR.

But unless you have 4 speakers, this is not what you need... You can perfectly mix a multichannel instrument/track in stereo without a sound card with dedicated outputs.

I'm experimenting with a multi-channel DP to see if I can get it to behave more like an acoustic piano with a sound board. I'm hoping that >2 channels will minimize phase cancellation issues that are common with 2 channel outputs. (see: https://rtaylor.sites.tru.ca/2021/07/14...issues-3/)

So I do want to have 4/5 channel out with that many speakers, one for each mic. It's just something to do...

But if all my input channels are routed through the DAW => USB => audio interface, then I can ignore the number of mic inputs and only pay attention to the "4-out" spec, right? I will look at the Tascam 4x4