Topic: New Player...

I just started learning keys. I've been using a Yamah P115 and I really like it.

Then I found Pianoteq. I am so in love with this app! I thought I'd post one up. I've only been playing for five months or so, so be nice! This is only the second piece I've learned...

This is done with Pianoteq 5 Blüthner recording preset w/ some added low end.

https://soundcloud.com/shadowburn-1/min...g-bwv116-1

Re: New Player...

Congratulations, and very pleasant, indeed.  The Blüthner is my favorite piano model - it's like macaroni and cheese, risotto, goulash, and all other comfort foods wrapped-up-in-one.

I, too have been new to this (about a year and a half, seriously, and another 6 months, not so seriously).  I found Pianoteq while I was playing a 14 year-old Casio keyboard, and have build a MIDI-strip and stop-bar-equipped old Steinway upright so I can play real and synthetic, as well as both combined.  Unfortunately, the technology is a bit of a distraction from the learning of sightreading, etc.

Have fun!

David

- David

dklein wrote:

Congratulations, and very pleasant, indeed.  The Blüthner is my favorite piano model - it's like macaroni and cheese, risotto, goulash, and all other comfort foods wrapped-up-in-one.

I, too have been new to this (about a year and a half, seriously, and another 6 months, not so seriously).  I found Pianoteq while I was playing a 14 year-old Casio keyboard, and have build a MIDI-strip and stop-bar-equipped old Steinway upright so I can play real and synthetic, as well as both combined.  Unfortunately, the technology is a bit of a distraction from the learning of sightreading, etc.

Have fun!

David

Thanks for the reply!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to get your upright set up?

I bought the 1885 Steinway F from Craigslist for $2200.

I bought a Microsoft Windows Surface Pro 4 for $1400.

My PNOscan II MIDI sensor rail and Stop Rail were about $1500.

I have a Steinberg UR-22 II external audio card/preamp for $149.

I added Emotiva Stealth8 monitor speakers for $749 each, plus AirMotive4 monitor speakers for about $400 for the pair.  (total 4 speakers)

(so the piano was the cheap part, and it took about 6 hours to install the PNOscan MIDI rail, but about 40 hours to install the Stop Rail, because it's not compatible and I had to modify it in various ways to replace the damper spring rail, and then modify the actuator.

I'm happy, but it was a long haul.

https://goo.gl/photos/mZ6UywoFz79DXAMr9

- David
Sarasota, FL

- David

Wow David! I'm thoroughly impressed!

There are three companies that make MIDI strips (QRS, PianoDisc, and one other...Korg?), and several who make Stop-Rails.  Anyway, though it's a hassle, going this way (especially with a Grand piano, which I do not have) gives you a real piano, a real action, and all the electronic options, as well as an acoustic piano that you find pleasurable to listen to.  I was floored by how many used acoustic pianos exist even within a couple of hundred miles of me - it's a buyer's market.  Craigslist and ebay may be cheapest, but going to a place like "Randy's Piano Warehouse" in Clearwater was quite educational, as they have literally dozens of various pianos to play.  I specifically wanted an upright, fullsize, which they did not have when I was there, but if I wanted a grand, I'd have likely bought an Apollo , a Baldwin, or a Mason and Hamlin from them, as these were quite nice at a lower price than their Steinways (though they had no fewer than 6 Steinway M's on the show floor).

- David