Topic: Roland A88

Hey folks,

I play with the standard setting and every time I try to create my own curve, I fail.

Does someone use the Roland A88 or F20/120? It would be a hig help for me

Greetings
burnhard

Re: Roland A88

Hi,

burnhard90 wrote:

Hey folks,

I play with the standard setting and every time I try to create my own curve, I fail.

maybe my thread http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=3433 can be useful for you.
In this context it would be also interesting for me, if the Roland A88 makes full use of the range 0 - 127 for the velocity. Have you had an eye on that already? (realtime midi-events are logged in Pianoteq>Options>MIDI)

I am asking that, because I'm thinking of getting a Roland RD-64 as high-definition (velocity-)controller and it has the same midi-keyboard as your A-88.

cheers

Hi,

I see that it's a while since this thread was active but..

..I have an A-88 and it's no problem to crate an curve on it, but it might not be a need for it; It seems to me that the defaults works just fine and that is what the 'Net says too I believe.

And yes, it's using the whole 0-127 range.

Last edited by josander (24-04-2015 15:22)

Eu também uso um A-88 e percebo que a gama de dinâmica e sensitividade dele é plenamente adequada à configuração 0-127. Não há porque modificar, até porque ao precionar levemente qualquer tecla, não precisa muita perícia para que o som seja nulo e se ouça apenas o ruído da tecla.

burnhard90 wrote:

Hey folks,

Greetings
burnhard

I play the A-88 and I created my own curve, which is very easy to do. I just followed the step-by-step instructions. I calibrated it numerous times to compare the values, and in the end, my final curve comes very close to the "Slow Keyboard" Velocity setting available in Pianoteq.

For best results, there is one thing to be careful about. Be sure to set the velocity curve on the A-88 to "2" (Medium) (see p. 41 in the A-88 manual).

When your curve is set, think about adjusting Pianoteq's volume to "0" and fiddle with the "Dynamics" button just under it to get the feel and playability you like. In my case, I put the Dynamics around "50" in order to recreate the feel of my now sold Baby Grand.

Last edited by BMil (13-10-2015 19:49)

I am thinking of purchasing the Roland A88. What are your opinions on the feel and playability of it's action?

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Hello,

Preset for normal Keyboard is good, but I have made my own presets. You can find then in << Other files >> menu

sigasa wrote:

I am thinking of purchasing the Roland A88. What are your opinions on the feel and playability of it's action?

Kindest Regards,

Chris

I have a Roland A88 with a triple pedal assembly.  Apart from pulling a couple of points down in the lower and upper center, I usually don't mess with the curve that much.  Lately, I'm playing with the default straight line curve.

But whatever curve you do use, it's also good to map the Volume and Dynamics sliders to the two round knobs on the A88's control panel, because tweaking both those settings can help you iron out a curve that seems not to be quite right. 

My advice is to find a basic curve for a given patch, and then GET USED TO IT.  Just like any new instrument, you have to train yourself a bit. I love the model B steinway, but I just bought it, so there is a learning curve to it--just like any other patch/curve combination.  A new instrument setup is like buying a new piano, and you have to explore it for a while.

been having trouble setting the curv so followed you advice and yes best its sounded in ages on my A-88 Cheers phill

BMil wrote:
burnhard90 wrote:

Hey folks,

Greetings
burnhard

I play the A-88 and I created my own curve, which is very easy to do. I just followed the step-by-step instructions. I calibrated it numerous times to compare the values, and in the end, my final curve comes very close to the "Slow Keyboard" Velocity setting available in Pianoteq.

For best results, there is one thing to be careful about. Be sure to set the velocity curve on the A-88 to "2" (Medium) (see p. 41 in the A-88 manual).

When your curve is set, think about adjusting Pianoteq's volume to "0" and fiddle with the "Dynamics" button just under it to get the feel and playability you like. In my case, I put the Dynamics around "50" in order to recreate the feel of my now sold Baby Grand.

curvycom wrote:
sigasa wrote:

Kindest Regards,

Chris

I have a Roland A88 with a triple pedal assembly.  Apart from pulling a couple of points down in the lower and upper center, I usually don't mess with the curve that much.  Lately, I'm playing with the default straight line curve.

But whatever curve you do use, it's also good to map the Volume and Dynamics sliders to the two round knobs on the A88's control panel, because tweaking both those settings can help you iron out a curve that seems not to be quite right. 

My advice is to find a basic curve for a given patch, and then GET USED TO IT.  Just like any new instrument, you have to train yourself a bit. I love the model B steinway, but I just bought it, so there is a learning curve to it--just like any other patch/curve combination.  A new instrument setup is like buying a new piano, and you have to explore it for a while.

Thank you curvy,

Warmest regards,

Chris