Topic: Instruction - Please read this first

Dear Pianoteq user,

We are going to implement a knowledge base of velocity curves of specific keyboards. Here we would appreciate your help: share your optimal velocity curve of your own keyboard.

How to set and report the velocity curve:

1) In Pianoteq 4.0 (or higher), load a D4 instrument. [In Pianoteq 3.6.8: load C3] /edited

2) Set minimum and maximum values: Play very silent, weakest pianissimo possible. At the same time, study the velocity response in the velocity curve by observing the green vertical lines. When you have found the most silent point where there is a response, move the left point to that value. Do the same but the opposite, play as loud as you can by banging on the keys, to find the loudest point, and move the right point to that value.

3) Check the response of your keyboard. See a few examples here. Exactly how to set the velocity curve is up to you. Play a few different piano works to test and set a curve that you feel gives the best possible response for your keyboard.

4) Right click on your velocity curve and select copy.

5) Find a topic concerning your own keyboard brand and model or create a new one (if you cannot find any) and name it in the following way: Brand, Model, Number, e.g. "Casio Privia PX-800" or "Yamaha Clavinova CLP-S308". We only allow one topic per keyboard model.

6) Create a post in the topic (or click on reply) and paste the result in the dedicated topic for your specific keyboard model. Feel free to add comments.

We appreciate your participation. If you have any comments or questions, feel free to post here in this thread. Please note that this specific forum section is created only with the purpose to report velocity curve results and related comments.

Re: Instruction - Please read this first

Hi Guys,

I just wrote in a another thread about a "curve calculator" application I've written in Java. I believe it is very useful to experiment with different types of curves: You write a (javascript) formula in a text field, press a button, and the clipboard contains the velocity map - then you just paste it in PTQ.

Download and check it out here:
http://sites.google.com/site/eranshome/software

Enjoy,
Eran

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

Can I use the trial version for the report because I don't currently have Pianoteq?

CyberGene wrote:

Can I use the trial version for the report because I don't currently have Pianoteq?

I don't see the reason why not?

Hard work and guts!

CyberGene wrote:

Yes, of course.

I was very curious how the midi velocity on my CP33 is related to the actual physical key velocity, so I invented a way of measuring it, and was surprised how well I managed to do.

If you want to know more, see the Yamaha CP33 thread.

Niclas, is it possible to make 'sticky folders per brand, like Yamaha or Roland etc. to save the curve posts into?
I would say thay if it's split up like that and maybe sorted alpabetically, the resulting curves in the brands' folders will be easier to find for users...

cheers
Hans

Last edited by creart (30-03-2010 12:51)

Niclas

would you post this curve in the velocity curve list under CP33 please

the one displayed at the moment is a mistake of mine which reads

Velocity = [18, 98, 125; 0, 110, 127]

Please replace it with the correct one below

Velocity = [18, 98, 127; 0, 112, 127]

Thank you Niclas

Hi Sorry to ask such a trivial question but how do you enter the specific velocity curves in Pianoteq? I see for example 3 numbers followed by ";" then another 3 numbers
[18, 98, 125; 0, 110, 127]
Are the first 3 numbers the "x" co-ordinates  and the other 3 numbers the "y" co-ordinates?
Thanks
Niall

tb303 wrote:

Hi Sorry to ask such a trivial question but how do you enter the specific velocity curves in Pianoteq? I see for example 3 numbers followed by ";" then another 3 numbers
[18, 98, 125; 0, 110, 127]
Are the first 3 numbers the "x" co-ordinates  and the other 3 numbers the "y" co-ordinates?
Thanks
Niall

yes

simply slect and copy the line below and then right-click the velocity curve panel in PianoTeq and select paste from the menu - done!

Velocicty = [18, 98, 127; 0, 112, 127]

Hope this helps!

creart wrote:

Niclas, is it possible to make 'sticky folders per brand, like Yamaha or Roland etc. to save the curve posts into?
I would say thay if it's split up like that and maybe sorted alpabetically, the resulting curves in the brands' folders will be easier to find for users...
cheers
Hans

Sorry for very late reply. Unfortunately it is not possible, what I know of, to do this in the forum script.

sigasa wrote:

would you post this curve in the velocity curve list under CP33 please
the one displayed at the moment is a mistake of mine which reads
Please replace it with the correct one below
Thank you Niclas

I notice that you added a correction post after you asked. Let me know if that is sufficient or if you need any further assistance.

Niclas, the erroneous velocity curve;

is still showing in the 'click to show velocity curve' section i.e. http://www.pianoteq.com/velocity_curves

Please replace with;

Thank you Niclas

Thank you Sigasa much obliged
Niall

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9793/cp33velocityforniclasfo.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you Niclas

regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (05-11-2010 21:50)

Niclas Fogwall wrote:

Dear Pianoteq user,

We are going to implement a knowledge base of velocity curves of specific keyboards. Here we would appreciate your help: share your optimal velocity curve of your own keyboard.

How to set and report the velocity curve:

1) In Pianoteq 3.5.3 (or higher), load a C3 instrument.

In the current Pianoteq versions the C3 has been replaced by the D4.
Should we use the D4 from now on to set and report velocity curves?
Or should we use the legacy C3 from V3.ptq?

Last edited by m.tarenskeen (10-09-2012 23:09)

m.tarenskeen wrote:

In the current Pianoteq versions the C3 has been replaced by the D4.
Should we use the D4 from now on to set and report velocity curves?
Or should we use the legacy C3 from V3.ptq?

Yes, the D4 should be used instead.

Thanks for pointing this out. I updated the instruction now.

Hey, newb here.  I tried to copy the velocity curve for casio 130, though i have a 330,  but hey....that didn't work, I have a mac so i tried to drag on top of,  will that not work in this case?   thanks for reply, I'm interested to see the difference.   Plus if any one has any 330 set ups or ideas they have discovered, That would be great... Thanks

nice exchange of info thanks guys..

How do I start a new thread on this forum?